ALMOST a year to the day since her husband Richard took his own life, Kayley Woollacott reflects on her first full season as a National Hunt trainer so far. Having won over hurdles with stable star Lalor at Aintree less than three months after Richard’s death, she’s now targeting a Grade 1 triumph over fences at the 2019 Cheltenham Festival. In part two of a Betway documentary, Kayley relives the novice chaser’s first two runs of the campaign in the Arkle Trophy Trial at Cheltenham and the Henry VIII Novices’ Chase at Sandown.
The video talks to the people who know Kayley and Lalor best as they build towards the pinnacle of their racing careers so far. Highlights from the video include:
– Kayley Woollacott on why she was determined to prove that she wasn’t “just the wife at home”
– Kayley’s sister Steph on her working relationship with “the boss” how “its mind-blowing how much she can do”
– Lalor’s owner David Staddon on why he took a chance on Kayley and his faith that “nobody else can do any better”
– Family friend Neil McLean on a “very emotional” day at Cheltenham and what he whispered in Kayley’s ear after the race
– Assistant trainer David Prichard on how the result that day was “even surprising for us”
For more click here